We often clean upholstery at home. There are many DIY techniques that you can use. While most of these techniques involve vinegar, there are cleaning solutions that do not require it. Upholstery can easily be cleaned without vinegar.
If you find your upholstery fabric is shrinking or the color is fading when a vinegar-based cleaning solution is used, then you need to stop using it. Vinegar is not the only substance that can get rid of grime or stains.
The following cleaning solution is one of the easiest ones that you can follow. It requires materials that are readily available and are affordable. The upholstery cleaning process is not too elaborate and actually works for all upholstery cleaning.
- Baking soda (2 teaspoons)
- Water (1 cup)
- Dishwashing liquid or any liquid, mild soap (1 teaspoon)
- A standard sized spray bottle
Method Used For Cleaning
- Step 1: Fill the spray bottle with 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Step 2: Add one cup of clean water and mix the baking soda thoroughly.
- Step 3: Put the cap of the spray bottle on and shake the bottle. This will mix the contents better.
- Step 4: Once the baking soda has mixed in the water, add the dishwashing liquid or any other liquid soap. Do not mix any harsh liquid soap as it might damage the upholstery.
- Step 5: Gently stir in the soap until it completely dissolved in the baking soda and water solution. You can also move the spray bottle in circular motions to dissolve the soap but do not shake the bottle vigorously. This will lead to too many soap bubbles and the soap will not have mixed properly.
Once the cleaning solution is ready, spray a bit on an inconspicuous spot to test it. It is mild enough and should not damage the fibers of the upholstery fabric in any way. However, it is always advisable to test a cleaning product before using it.
Spray the solution on the upholstery or on the areas that are stained or have dirt spots. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe the areas with a clean cloth. This cleaner is good for getting rid of grease spots from the upholstery.
If you do not want to use any kind of detergent liquid in your upholstery cleaner, you can make one using baking soda, cornstarch, and water. Mix half a cup of baking soda with the same amount of corn starch. Add enough water to the mixture to create a thick paste.
Apply this paste to the affected areas on your upholstery and let it dry for a while. Clean the spots with a vacuum cleaner. This is a great cleaner to use if the upholstery fabric has too many spots or stains. But this is not ideal for cleaning the whole fabric.
Cleaning products that do not require vinegar, but contain baking soda are also good for getting rid of odors. Your upholstery will appear clean and fresh after such a cleaning product is used.
Hire The Experienced Professional Upholstery Cleaners
You can even hire experienced and professional upholstery cleaners. We at Clean Sleep, have the best team of experts and provide almost all types of services for Upholstery Cleaning Hobart. We make use of safe solutions and deliver the best result. Call us today to book our finest service.