It is in the nature of the carpets to get dirty with daily usage. Dust, soil, mildew, mold, animal hair, human skin flakes – all of this is common to stick to your carpet fabrics. By keeping a few things in mind, you can keep your carpets clean, decrease its maintenance requirement, do away with odors, and also perform a deep cleaning of the carpets.
How to keep the carpet clean?
It is easy to clean a carpet when you do it on regular basis. So here is how you can keep your carpets clean:
If you have a carpet then it is wise to invest in a nice vacuum cleaner as well. The vacuum helps in sucking out the deeply embedded dust and dirt from the carpet. If you have pets at home then it is advisable to vacuum the carpets daily. This will keep your carpets clean and smelling nice. Be a little slow while using the vacuum cleaner because even a high-powered cleaner will need time to extract dust from the carpet. For complete cleaning, you need to run the vacuum more than once.
Protect heavy-traffic area
By protecting heavy-traffic areas of the carpet, you can save a lot of your effort. Especially if your carpets are extended to kitchen or front door then they will probably get more traffic in those areas. To protect these areas, you can use plastic carpet protectors. These save carpets from dirt and being transparent you can easily see through them. Moreover in the hallways, you can use carpet runners.
Clean spills instantly
If you spill something on your carpet the best way to save it is to clean it up immediately. If you let the spills go deep into the carpet fabric then it will become very difficult to clean it later. To clean liquid spills, take a paper towel or piece of cloth to blot it up. Sprinkle some baking powder on it and let it stay for 15 minutes. Once the spill is dry, vacuum the carpet. For removing wine stains or other colorful spills, use club soda.
Different methods for old stain removal
Vinegar is one of the best stain removers that are usually available in every house. You can treat vinegar for cleaning coffee and pet stains removal and old wine stains. removal. If the stain is too deep then you can saturate the carpet with vinegar or sprinkle baking soda on the stained area and afterward use the vacuum cleaner to suck it up. Don’t scrub the stains as it causes more damage than good. Don’t use too much of vinegar or any other liquid for cleaning as it causes mold growth. You can also use a mixture of salt and lemon for cleaning light carpets.
How to remove carpet odor
For odor removal from your carpet, the first step is to vacuum it thoroughly. Now you need an odor removal mixture that can be made using 2 cups cornmeal, ½ cup baking soda, and 1 cup borax. Take all of these ingredients and mix them in a bowl that you do not use for cooking purpose.
- After that, make a mixture of half water and half vinegar and fill a spray bottle with it. Spray this solution on the affected area. Don’t overuse the liquid as it can lead to mold growth.
- Take the cornmeal mixture that you made and spread it evenly on the carpet. Let it stay for at least an hour. Again, don’t overuse the powder.
- Don’t let your kids or pets stay in the same room where you are using odor removal mixture on the carpet.
- To remove the cornmeal mixture, use vacuum. You may have to run the vacuum cleaner several times for a finished look. Remember to discard the vacuum bag once you are done.
How to deep clean a carpet
Apart from the above cleaning methods, it is important to deep clean the carpet once in a while. For this, you can either hire professional carpet cleaners or hire a carpet cleaning machine to do it on your own. A good rented carpet cleaning machine will come with stain removing and cleaning solutions. It uses chemicals and hot water for the deep cleaning of the carpet fibers.
Here are the steps of carpet deep cleaning by using a rented machine:
- First of all, thoroughly vacuum the carpets to eliminate loose dirt and dust. If certain areas are too dirty then use a broom to loosen up dirt before vacuuming.
- Before using the machine, you will have to pre-treat those areas that are stained. If the machine has not come with a stain remover then you can use vinegar to do the job.
- Fill the machine with cleaning solution and water, as instructed on the machine itself. Fit the tanks properly back after filling with water and solution.
- Once you are set, plug in the machine and start cleaning the carpet. Clean every inch of the carpet using the machine. If the machine runs out of solution or water then remove the tanks, drain the dirty liquid, cleanse the tanks, and fill them again.
- Let your carpet dry completely after you have used the machine. It may take up to a few hours and then you will find your carpet smelling great again!
Take The Professional Assistance
If you are not able to deep clean the carpets on your own then hire professional experts of carpet cleaning from Clean Sleep! We provide various carpet cleaning services for more than two decades. Our experts come equipped with all the necessary equipment and cleaning solutions to rejuvenate your carpets!